Friday, December 5, 2008

Ballet School Receptionist

A face behind the glass
I stared at her

Tiny girls in leotards
walked in & out
of her tiny office

A shy child needing her
to sew a tear -
she closed the door

Mothers gossiping
who got the best parts
in The Nutcracker

Shifting my weight
from foot to foot
pretending to read
an old magazine
was my dance

Twice I went out for air
then returned to wonder
at her rice powder face
& when she walked down the hall
I admired her ass

I had heard she had a boyfriend
but was unhappy
with his abuses

I wondered if she ever
danced away from those men

I gave her my dance
in an envelope
asked her to read it later -
it had the moon in it

When the ballet class ended
my niece stage-whispered
“Did you talk to her?”


© Bob Rixon

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]